Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

My sister gave me this recipe and I think she got it from Cooking Light. It always turns out amazing! This recipe makes two crusts.

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 t. sugar
1 1/2 C. warm water (100-110°)
1 C. whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 C. flour, divided
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2 t. salt
cooking spray

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl. (I just use my KitchenAid); let stand 5 minutes.

Add 2 1/4 C flour, wheat flour, oil and salt to yeast, stirring until blended (if using KitchenAid just use dough hook). Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes (in KA, about 3-6). Add enough flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands or side of bowl.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in warm place (85°) free from drafts for 45 minutes until doubled in size. --I start to preheat my oven for about 5 minutes to get it warm, turn off the oven, cover the bowl with a towel and place in the warmed oven.

After doubled in size, punch down dough, cover and let rest 5 minutes.


Divide dough in half, roll into 12 inch circle. Top as desired and bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes. 


I make this for my friends a lot! So far my favorite toppings have been artichoke hearts, black olives, tomatoes, feta and mozzarella cheese!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. BY FAR. My favorite pizza crust, thank you for sharing! Now I have a go-to recipe!

    ReplyDelete