Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ham and White Bean Soup

Sorry its taken me so long to post something new! Night shifts are an interesting shift to get used to!

This is a perfect fall recipe. There have been more rainy days up here and on those days nothing sounds better to me than a big pot of soup simmering on the stove. This is a great recipe too because it makes plenty to freeze for later or for great leftovers the next day. I actually think its better the 2nd and 3rd day! For the Love of Cooking has great soup recipes. I'll be posting more soon!!

1-2 onions
1-2 T olive oil

Saute onions in olive oil.

Chopped carrots (However much you think)
Chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced

Add carrots into onions and cook down. Add in celery and garlic and cook until tender.

1 1/2-2 C cooked diced ham

Add in ham and cook for a few minutes.

Add 4 14 oz cans of white beans (I used rinsed cannellini beans).

Add 3 cups stock. You can use chicken stock but I found ham bouillon at the store and that gave it GREAT flavor!

Season with 1 bay leaf and salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for at least 1-2 hours. You can puree it down with a blender if you like your soup thicker but I like mine a little bit more chunky.

Serve with bread of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment