Thursday, June 9, 2011

Risotto with Shrimp and Peas

I made this a few weeks ago after I got my new Rachael Ray Magazine. Its a great summer dish and it was enough for me for dinner! I always thought risotto took so long to make but this recipe was relatively simple. If you want the original RR recipe you can get it here.

1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
3 T. butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 C. arborio rice
Salt and pepper to taste
8 oz peeled, cooked small shrimp
1 C. frozen peas ( I didn't have frozen peas so I used frozen edamame instead!)
1 C. finely grated parmesan cheese
1 lemon, zested
I also had bell peppers in my veggie drawer that I chopped up and added in as well!

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken broth and 1 3/4 C water over high heat until steaming; cover and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 1 T. butter. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the rice and 1/2 t. salt and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.

Stir in 1 C. of the broth mixture, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Maintaining a low simmer, continue to add the broth mixture 1/2 C. at a time, stirring frequently and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy, 20-25 minutes. Add the remaining 2 T. butter, shrimp, peas, pepper, and 1/2 C. cheese and cook, stirring, until the cheese has melted. Stir in the lemon zest, season with S & P, top with remaining cheese.

I also added in dill to give it a little more flavor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment