Monday, September 26, 2011

Homemade Mushroom Soup

Today definitely felt like fall. It was kind of nice for a change. Cool, rainy and a perfect day to make soup. Brian bought some mushrooms at the Bellingham Farmer's Market this weekend and so mushroom soup was on the list. I found a fantastically easy recipe that I will be making A LOT this winter!! I forgot to take pictures (SORRY!) but I'll post other recipes with pictures later this week!!

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 lb. regular white mushrooms
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 t. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Stock-I think I used between 4 and 6 cups (I wasn't measuring!)
1 cup cream (the original recipe called for 2 but a little less than one was plenty!)
1 t cornstarch dissolved in 1 T. water

Coarsely chop mushrooms in food processor. Melt butter in soup pot, add onions and saute. Add mushrooms, thyme, and bay leaf and saute for another 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, cream and stock. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water, and add to soup. Keep stirring and serve.

Let me know what you think! It was so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment