Monday, September 19, 2011

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies

At the latte stand I used to work at we had a delicious Mayan Mocha. It was a mocha with honey and a blend of cinnamon, ancho chili, cocoa powder and nutmeg. They were SO good. A little extra spice to warm you up. I of course made mine pretty mild but oh they smelled delicious! So before I finished working there I brought home a cup of the mix so I could make them when I was all the way across the state! I made myself a few mochas and then decided that a cookie with that flavor would be delicious. So I searched and this is what I found. I just used the mix I had, but I think next time I'll add a little more chili powder for a little bit bigger kick. The crunch of the cookie is amazing and I rolled mine in a mixture of cinnamon, sugar and mayan mix. Enjoy!

2 1/4 C. flour
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 C. unsalted butter
1 3/4 C. sugar
2 large eggs
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. chile powder (I used mayan mix here, but I think the chile powder would give a bigger kick)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, soda, and salt. Set aside.


In a separate bowl beat butter, 1 1/2 C. sugar until fluffy. Add eggs. (I also added a little vanilla). Slowly add in flour mixture.



In a separate bowl combine 1/4 C. sugar, cinnamon and chile powder.


Form cookies into a ball and roll in mixture. Bake for 10 minutes on a parchment lined sheet. Enjoy!


1 comment: